The Hampton Roads Jewish Community Hero contest celebrates heroes who make an impact in the Jewish community right here in Hampton Roads. This is our community’s opportunity to shine a national spotlight on the unsung, whether their work impacts five people or 5,000.
The nominees will be determined by an online nomination process and selected by a review committee. The winner with the most votes wins the title of Hampton Roads Jewish Community Hero of the Year, will be recognized at the United Jewish Federation of Tidewater's Annual Campaign Kick-Off in September, and a non-profit organization of his or her choice will receive a $500 grant award. All final nominees will be entered into the National Jewish Community Heroes campaign, sponsored by the Jewish Federations of North America, where they have the opportunity to win an additional grant and recognition at the General Assembly.
Voting is Now Closed
Who can be nominated as a Jewish Community Hero?
Nominees must be residents of Hampton Roads and be 13 years of age or older. Employees of United Jewish Federation of Tidewater and the Tidewater Jewish Foundation cannot be nominated. For questions, please contact email@example.com or call 757-965-6137.
What criteria will be used by the judges to select the Final Nomineees?
The essential criteria will be:
- The nominee shows exceptional qualities and commitment in line with the mission of UJFT, strengthening the Jewish community, and the ideals of tikkun olam.
- The nominee complies with the rules of the Hampton Roads Jewish Community Hero campaign.
Who can nominate a Hero?
Anyone can nominate a Hero. However, in order to vote, you must be a resident of Hampton Roads.
How is the Hero of the Year decided?
1. The public nominates their favorite heroes. The Deadline for nominations is 11:59 PM Eastern Time on June 1, 2011.
2. From the nominations, a review committee selects the final nominees.
3. Final Nominees will be announced at the UJFT Biennial Meeting on June 23, 2011. At this time, the final nominees and their stories along with photos will be added to the UJFT Website. Please note that all final nominees will be entered into the National Jewish Community Heroes campaign, sponsored by the Jewish Federations of North America.
4. Beginning June 24, 2011, Community members will be able to go online and vote for their favorite hero.
5. Voters may vote once per day.
6. Voters must be residents of Hampton Roads.
7. Employees of UJFT and TJF are not eligible to vote.
8. Voting ends at 11:59 PM Eastern Time on September 1, 2011.
9. The Hampton Roads Jewish Community Hero of the Year will be announced at the UJFT Annual Campaign Kick-off in September. Please note that all of the final nominees will receive a certificate of recognition at the end of the campaign.
What will honorees receive?
The Hero of the Year will be given the opportunity to select a 501(c)3 charitable entity to receive a $500 grant, and he or she will be invited to and recognized at the 2011 Annual Campaign Kickoff in September. All final nominees will be entered into the National Jewish Community Heroes campaign, sponsored by the Jewish Federations of North America. All final nominees will receive a certificate of recognition at the end of the campaign.
I've been nominated but some of the information is incorrect. How can I correct this problem?
We understand you want you want your entry to be as accurate as possible. Please submit your requests here.
Can I submit a nomination via mail or fax?
No. We will only post nominees submitted via this website.
UJFT and the other participants in this program reserve the right to modify the rules and award-allocation process and award amounts during the course of the event as they see fit. The UJFT also reserves the right to not post entries it deems inappropriate or outside the spirit of the campaign.