Fri, 02/08/2013 - 12:47pm
Israel & Mideast:
In Mideast issues, the U.S. tightens sanctions on Iran, which is refusing calls for direct talks on nuclear issues; and the Times of Israel looks at why the EU refuses to official declare Hezbollah a terrorist group (see the JFNA statement on this issue here: http://www.jewishfederations.org/local_includes/downloads/61561.pdf).
In Israeli-Palestinian issues, PA President Abbas meets with Hamas’s Mashaal, even as the PA arrests Hamas activists; and another top PA leader says only the U.S. can broker an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal.
In domestic Israeli issues, a new poll shows a vast majority of Israelis prefer less religious authority in government.
• N.Y. Times -- U.S. Increases Pressure of Economic War on Tehran http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/world/middleeast/us-ratchets-up-an-economic-war-against-tehran.html• Jerusalem Post -- Khamenei rejects offer for face-to-face talks http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=302464• Times of Israel (analysis, Raphael Ahren) -- Why won’t Europe state the obvious about Hezbollah? http://www.timesofisrael.com/why-wont-europe-state-the-obvious-about-hezbollah/
• Jerusalem Post -- Abbas to meet Mashaal on unity as PA cracks down on Hamas http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=302514• Times of Israel -- Senior PA official: Only Americans can bring peace http://www.timesofisrael.com/senior-pa-official-only-americans-can-bring-peace/
Domestic Israeli Issues:
• Ynet News -- 80% of Israelis favor civil government http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4340773,00.html
For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx
For more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page:http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
The Times of Israel runs a fascinating account of a former IDF soldier’s experience at a BDS event in Seattle; JTA reports on a proposed boycott of the Israeli firm SodaStream; NYC Mayor Bloomberg says free speech trumps anti-Israel speech at Brooklyn College, though Jewish students there say they feel concerned; the NJ Jewish News reports on an Israel advocacy summit, with the participation of IAN; and the St. Louis Jewish Light reports a local city consultant is being targeted by BDS forces.
• Times of Israel (commentary, Hen Mazzig) -- ‘Nonviolent’ demonstrations and a 6th broken camera http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/palestinians-non-violent-demonstrations-and-a-6th-broken-camera/• JTA -- In SodaStream boycott push, Palestinians may be the victims http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/07/3118991/sodastream-employees-keep-focus-on-seltzer-not-settlements• Times of Israel -- NYC mayor says BDS apostles should be allowed to speak on campus http://www.timesofisrael.com/nyc-mayor-says-bds-apostles-should-speak-on-campus/• The Algemeiner -- Brooklyn College Sponsorship of Anti-Israel Event Has Left Jewish Students Feeling ‘Isolated’ and ‘Uncomfortable’http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/07/brooklyn-college-sponsorship-of-anti-israel-event-has-left-jewish-students-feeling-isolated-and-uncomfortable/• NJ Jewish News -- At Whippany summit, enlisting a ‘corps’ of advocates for Israel (highlights Federation, IAN) http://www.njjewishnews.com/article/16257/at-whippany-summit-enlisting-a-corps-of-advocates-for-israel#.URO11R3AdvA• St. Louis Jewish Light -- City consulting contract target of BDS campaign (highlights Federation) http://www.stljewishlight.com/news/local/article_504881c6-7075-11e2-b55b-001a4bcf887a.html
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Globally, the NJ Jewish News editorializes on the importance of Jewish disability inclusion (see the recent JFNA briefing on this issue here: http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=259590); France honors Ronald Lauder; and the Chronicle of Philanthropy reports on calls to require charities to file 990s online.
Federations are highlighted in Palm Beach and Washington.
• NJ Jewish News (editorial) -- Disability and responsibility (highlights Federation, Jewish Disability Awareness Month) http://www.njjewishnews.com/article/16250/disability-and-responsibility#.URO1ux3AdvA• JNS -- Jewish philanthropist, media mogul Lauder earns France’s highest honor http://www.jns.org/news-briefs/2013/2/6/jewish-philanthropist-media-mogul-lauder-earns-frances-highe.html• Chronicle of Philanthropy -- Congress Urged to Require Charities to File 990s Online http://philanthropy.com/article/CongressIRS-Urged-to-Make/137157/
• Las Vegas Review-Journal -- Adelsons donate $50m to school http://www.lvrj.com/news/adelsons-donate-50-million-to-school-190128741.html• Washington Jewish Week – What a great win for greater Washington (highlights Federation) http://washingtonjewishweek.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=4&ArticleID=18822• South Florida Sun-Sentinel – Autistic teen celebrates ‘coming of age’ (highlights Federation) http://www.sun-sentinel.com/florida-jewish-journal/news/palm-beach-county-news/fl-jjpn-mitzvah-0206-20130209,0,5583276.story