Mon, 02/11/2013 - 10:46am
Israel & Mideast:
In Mideast issues, Iran denies it was involved in last summer’s terror attack in Bulgaria against Israelis. Meanwhile, several journalists look at the issue of the EU declining to label Hezbollah a terror group (see the JFNA media statement on this issue here: http://www.jewishfederations.org/local_includes/downloads/61561.pdf); and Lebanon claims Israel is increasing military sorties over the country.
In Israeli-Palestinian issues, Minister Dan Meridor urges Israel to limit settlements outside the main blocs.
In domestic Israeli issues, religious leaders are protesting the new law enlisting religious youth in the army; the NY Times and JPost look at intensifying anti-Arab sentiment surrounding a storied Jerusalem soccer team; and the IDF is launching a program to better integrate Ethiopians.
• Times of Israel -- Iran denies involvement in Burgas bombing http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-denies-involvement-in-burgas-bombing/• CNN (commentary, Frida Ghitis) -- Europe, name Hezbollah in terror http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/08/opinion/ghitis-hezbollah-europe/• Foreign Policy (analysis, Benjamin Weinthal) -- Europe’s Hezbollah Problem http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/02/06/europe_s_hezbollah_problem_bulgaria_bombing• Times of Israel -- Lebanon claims Israel conducting more mock sorties http://www.timesofisrael.com/lebanon-claims-israel-conducted-mock-sorties/
• Jerusalem Post -- Meridor: Curb settlement building outside main blocs http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=302645
Domestic Israeli Issues:
• Ynet News -- Haredi leaders at emergency meeting: No to IDF enlistment http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4342578,00.html• N.Y. Times -- Fire Destroys Offices of Israeli Soccer Team That Recruited Muslims http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/09/world/middleeast/arson-destroys-office-of-israel-soccer-team-that-recruited-muslims.html• Jerusalem Post -- Bright Tag to protest racism at Betar matches http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.aspx?id=302581• JTA -- IDF to tackle Ethiopian troops’ adjustment problems http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/08/3119141/idf-to-tackle-ethiopian-troops-adjustment-problems
For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx
For more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page:http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
Controversy grows in the UK over an MP’s anti-Israel remarks on a Holocaust remembrance day; Jewish students are ousted from a BDS event at Brooklyn College; and the Times of Israel reports on the strange story of a former IDF soldier who became the media darling of the anti-Israel crowd in the UK.
• Jerusalem Post -- UK: Lib Dems summon MP over Jews, Israel remark http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=302624• Tablet -- Pro-Israel Students Ousted From BDS Event http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/123792/pro-israel-students-ousted-from-bds-event• Times of Israel -- IDF vet turned author teases UK with Mossad alter ego http://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-vet-turned-author-teases-uk-with-mossad-alter-ego/
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
The Forward looks at an NRA blacklist of gun-control proponents, many of them Jewish organizations.
Federations are highlighted in Cleveland; Lehigh Valley, PA; and Sarasota-Manatee, FL.
• Forward -- The Gun Lobby’s Jewish Enemies List http://blogs.forward.com/forward-thinking/170775/the-gun-lobbys-jewish-enemies-list/
• Cleveland Plain-Dealer -- Former CIA director James Woolsey will speak at Jewish Federation of Cleveland meeting in Beachwood (highlights Federation) http://www.cleveland.com/beachwood/index.ssf/2013/02/former_cia_director_james_wool.html• Upper Saucon Patch -- Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley Breaks Record at Annual Phone-A-Thon (highlights Federation) http://uppersaucon.patch.com/announcements/jewish-federation-of-the-lehigh-valley-breaks-records-at-annual-phone-a-thon-652c2ebc• Broadway World -- FST’s write a play, touches lives in Bat Yam, Israel (highlights Federation) http://stpetersburg.broadwayworld.com/article/FSTs-WRITE-A-PLAY-Touches-Lives-in-Kiryat-Yam-Israel-20130207