Wed, 02/20/2013 - 4:56pm
Israel & Mideast:
In Mideast issues, JFNA Chair Michael Siegal looks at a range of political and philanthropic issues, in the Jerusalem Post; the Times of Israel reports that all is quiet on the Golan front, for now; Hezbollah allegedly targeted Israelis in Europe, the NY Times reports; and U.S. budget cuts may hit military aid to Israel.
In domestic Israeli issues, the JPost and Ejp report on developments in the Women of the Wall debate.
• Jerusalem Post -- JFNA head: Obama trip ‘is a very positive sign’ (Q&A with Michael Siegal) http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=303863• Times of Israel -- Israel’s Alaska, the Golan, stays calm amid the gathering storm http://www.timesofisrael.com/israels-alaska-the-golan-stays-calm-amid-the-gathering-storm/• N.Y. Times -- On Trial, Man Says Hezbollah Scouted Israeli Targets in Europe http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/world/europe/in-cyprus-trial-man-says-hezbollah-scouted-israeli-targets-in-europe.html• Algemeiner -- Report: U.S. Budget Cuts To Hit Israel Military Aid http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/20/report-u-s-budget-cuts-to-hit-israel-military-aid/Domestic Israeli Issues:• Jerusalem Post -- Police allow Sarah Silverman’s niece to visit Kotel http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=303858• EJP -- Jewish Agency Holds ‘Town Hall’ Conversation on Women’s Kotel Prayer Services http://ejewishphilanthropy.com/jewish-agency-holds-town-hall-conversation-on-womens-kotel-prayer-services/For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspxFor more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page:http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
The NY Jewish Week and NJ Jewish News highlight the Israel Action Network’s lessons in fighting the BDS movement; the NY Times looks at how an anti-Israel blogger is using social media by Israeli soldiers as propaganda; and a debate over ‘pink-washing’ surfaces in New York City.
• NY Jewish Week -- ‘Best Practices’ Emerging in BDS Confrontations (highlights Federation-supported Israel Action Network) http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/new-york-news/best-practices-emerging-bds-confrontations• NJ Jewish News (editor’s blog) -- Discretion is the better part of pro-Israel advocacy http://njjewishnews.com/justASC/2013/02/15/discretion-is-the-better-part-of-pro-israel-advocacy/• NY Times’ ‘The Lede’ blog -- Palestinian Blogger Chips Away at Israel’s Image, One Ill-Advised Instagram at a Time http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/palestinian-blogger-chips-away-at-israels-image-one-ill-advised-instagram-at-a-time/• Forward -- Gays Debate 'Pinkwashing' as N.Y. Center Reverses Ban on Israel-Related Events http://forward.com/articles/171503/gays-debate-pinkwashing-as-ny-center-reverses-ban/
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Global Jewish Issues:
The controversy over ‘Prisoner X’, an alleged Australian-Israeli Mossad agent who committed suicide, is raising dual loyalty charges for Australian Jews, JTA says. Meanwhile, many Jews are leaving Hungary due to anti-Semitism, JTA adds.
• JTA -- Prisoner X affair raises charge of dual loyalty for Australian Jews http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/20/3120056/prisoner-x-affair-raises-charges-of-dual-loyalty-for-australian-jews• JTA -- Recession, xenophobia prompting Jews to ditch Hungary http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/19/3119906/recession-xenophobia-cause-massive-jewish-emigration-from-hungary
Globally, the Times of Israel and Washington Jewish Week report on JFNA advocacy for Federations on issues including charitable tax deductions and potential budget cuts; the NY Jewish Week reports on a JFNA announcement (http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=261097) that TribeFest 2014 will take place in New Orleans; and the Chronicle of Philanthropy says Charity Navigator is scrutinizing public reporting by non-profits.
Federations are highlighted in Louisville, KY; and Southern NJ.
• Times of Israel -- Charities grapple with Washington’s fiscal chaos (highlights Federation, JFNA) http://www.timesofisrael.com/charities-grapple-with-washingtons-fiscal-chaos/• Washington Jewish Week -- Disabling impact of sequestration (highlights Federation, JFNA) http://washingtonjewishweek.com/main.asp?SectionID=132&SubSectionID=272&ArticleID=18879• NY Jewish Week -- New Orleans To Host TribeFest 2014 http://www.thejewishweek.com/node/29778 • Chronicle of Philanthropy -- Watchdog Cracks Down on Misleading Statements on Fundraising Costs http://philanthropy.com/article/Watchdog-Cracks-Down-on/137195/
• WHAS 11 -- Jewish Federation of Louisville hosts annual pre-Oscars fundraiser (highlights Federation) http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Jewish-Community-Center-hosts-annual-pre-Oscars-fundraiser-191620791.html• Jewish Voice of Southern NJ -- Join us in Washington to advocate for critical services & programs (highlights Federation, JFNA) http://www.jewishvoicesnj.org/news/2013-02-20/Columns/Join_us_in_Washington_to_advocate_for_critical_ser.html