Fri, 02/22/2013 - 2:32pm
Israel & Mideast:
PM Netanyahu warns Iran is nearing a ‘red line’ on nuclear capability; Hezbollah apparently tracked Israeli flights, an agent on trial testifies; an Arab media outlet warns Hezbollah and the Free Syrian Army are inching toward war; a Palestinian Authority threat ignites violent protests in the West Bank; Palestinians refuse to team with Israelis for an exhibition soccer match to promote peace; and Israel is reportedly considering a partial apology for the Turkish flotilla raid.
• Times of Israel -- Netanyahu: Iran centrifuge upgrade proves “red line” approaching http://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu-west-call-iran-centrifuge-upgrade-report-disturbing/• Jerusalem Post -- ‘Hezbollah agents gathered data on Israel flights’ http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=304149• Al Arabiya -- FSA and Hezbollah inch toward war, Lebanon in the crosshairs again http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2013/02/22/267633.html• Algemeiner -- PA Official’s Threats Manifest Into Friday Riots Across West Bank, Jerusalem http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/22/pa-officials-threats-manifest-into-friday-riots-across-west-bank-jerusalem/• Times of Israel -- Palestinians refuse to team up with Israel against soccer greats http://www.timesofisrael.com/palestinians-refuse-to-team-up-with-israel-against-soccer-greats/• JTA -- Report: Israel mulling apology for ‘operational errors’ on Turkish flotilla http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/22/3120291/report-israel-mulling-apology-for-operational-errors-on-turkish-flotillaFor more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspxFor more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page:http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
A new website helps communities ‘buycott’ Israel – the act of buying Israeli products to support the Jewish state; and several major pop acts are under pressure to cancel Israel appearances.
• SF J Weekly (Phila. Jewish Exponent) -- Website spreads the word on where to find Holy Land goods (highlights Birmingham Federation) http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/67837/buy-israel-week-website-spreads-the-word-on-where-to-find-holy-land-goods/• Algemeiner -- Alicia Keys, Depeche Mode Urged to Cancel Concerts in Israel http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/22/alicia-keys-depeche-mode-urged-to-cancel-concerts-in-israel/
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Global Jewish Issues:
A neo-Nazi was compiling a hit list of blacks and Jews in Detroit.
• Algemeiner -- Neo-Nazi Had Hit List of Jewish Leaders in Detroit (highlights Federation) http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/22/neo-nazi-had-hit-list-of-jewish-leaders-in-detroit/
Globally, a hearing-impaired rabbi works for disability inclusion, while a disability advocate speaks out (see the recent JFNA briefing on Jewish Disability inclusion issues: http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=261005); Maccabi USA gets a major gift from a former athlete; the NY Times highlights the work of ORT in Uruguay; and the Chronicle of Philanthropy reports on the impact of charities collaborating.
Federations are highlighted in Arizona; Northern NJ; and Orlando.
• SF J Weekly -- Dynamic, deaf rabbi bringing message of inclusivity (highlights Federation, JFNA) http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/67818/dynamic-deaf-rabbi-bringing-message-of-inclusivity/• NY Jewish Week (commentary, Ari Ne’eman) -- Welcome To The New Normal: Disability Rights, Not 'Special Needs' http://www.thejewishweek.com/blogs/new-normal/welcome-new-normal-disability-rights-not-special-needs• N.Y. Times -- Pastoral Uruguay Yields a Crop of Digital Yetis and Adventures (highlights Federation-supported ORT) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/22/world/americas/uruguays-video-game-start-ups-garner-attention.html• JTA -- Shoe bigwig Stuart Weitzman gives $1 million to Maccabi USA http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/21/3120251/shoe-designer-gifts-one-million-dollars-to-maccabi-usa• Chronicle of Philanthropy -- When 2 Charities Share Their Expertise, They Both Grow Stronger http://philanthropy.com/article/Sharing-Expertise-Helps/137179
• Arizona Jewish Post -- Local donations help JFNA Terror Relief Fund for Israelis (highlights Federation, JFNA) http://azjewishpost.com/2013/local-donations-help-jfna-terror-relief-fund-for-israelis/• NJ Jewish Standard -- A different kind of Purim party (highlights Federation) http://www.jstandard.com/content/item/a_different_kind_of_purim_party/26326• Heritage Florida Jewish News -- JFGO arranges mission to Cuba (highlights Federation) http://www.heritagefl.com/story/2013/02/22/news/jfgo-arranges-mission-to-cuba/178.html