Mon, 02/25/2013 - 5:07pm
Israel & Mideast:
Iran stiffens its stance on nuclear issues; the Assad government’s army has reportedly fled the Golan, with rebels moving to Israel’s border; and PA leader Abbas accuses Israel of fomenting the rising strife in the West Bank that some are calling the Third Intifada.
In domestic Israeli issues, Tablet looks at a newly elected woman Knesset member who could break new ground; and non-Orthodox rabbis seek greater pay equity.
• N.Y. Times -- Iran Signaling Hard Line in Nuclear Talks http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/world/middleeast/iran-enters-nuclear-talks-in-a-defiant-mood.html• Times of Israel -- ‘Assad’s army has fled entire area bordering Israel’ http://www.timesofisrael.com/rebels-claim-to-control-syrian-side-of-israel-border/• Jerusalem Post -- ‘Egypt slams Israeli policy on Palestinian prisoners’ http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=304468• Ynet News -- Abbas: Israel seeks chaos in Palestinian territories http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4349246,00.html• Ynet News -- Palestinian teen badly hurt in Bethlehem clashes http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4349325,00.html• Algemeiner -- Former PA Presidential Candidate: The Third Intifada Has Already Begun http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/25/former-pa-presidential-candidate-the-third-intifada-has-already-begun/
Domestic Israeli News:
• Tablet -- In New Knesset, a True Maverick http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/125021/in-new-knesset-a-true-maverick• JTA -- Nine months after Israeli court ruling, non-Orthodox rabbis still fighting for equal pay http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/19/3119721/reform-rabbi-still-without-pay-nine-months-after-winning-rights-to-state-salary
For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx
For more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page:http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
The Times of Israel features the Israel Action Network’s lessons on countering anti-Israel BDS efforts; and the Algemeiner reports how the NY Daily News runs a column by the leader of BDS, and then editorializes against him.
• Times of Israel -- 14 successful counterassaults on Israel’s legitimacy (highlights Federation-funded Israel Action Network) http://www.timesofisrael.com/14-successful-counterassaults-on-israels-legitimacy/• Algemeiner -- New York Daily News Publishes BDS Founder’s Op-Ed—Then Bashes It http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/25/new-york-daily-news-publishes-bds-founders-op-ed%e2%80%94then-bashes-it/
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Global Jewish Issues:
Two controversial Israeli films that were nominated for Oscars did not win, though one continues to do relatively well at the box office in the U.S.; and the ADL blasts jokes about Jews in Hollywood by Oscar host Seth MacFarlane.
• JTA -- Israeli films fall short again at Oscars http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/25/3120336/israeli-films-lose-again-at-oscars• Times of Israel -- Israeli doc loses Oscar but soars at the box office http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-doc-loses-oscar-but-soars-at-the-box-office/• Algemeiner -- ADL Slams Jews-Control-Hollywood Sketch From Academy Awards Ceremony http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/25/adl-slams-jews-control-hollywood-sketch-from-academy-awards-ceremony/• Tablet -- Seth MacFarlane and Jewish Hollywood http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/125127/seth-macfarlane-and-jewish-hollywood
Globally, the Times of Israel features an op-ed by JFNA’s William Daroff on Federation public policy priorities; Pardes announces tuition grants for MASA alumni; and the Chronicle of Philanthropy reports some non-profit leaders are wondering if being nice comes with a price.
Federations are highlighted in Detroit; Monmouth County, NJ; Northern NJ; and Twin Tiers, NY.
• Times of Israel (commentary, William Daroff) -- The American Jewish agenda: Policy priorities (highlights Federation, JFNA) http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the-american-jewish-agenda-policy-priorities/• EJP -- Pardes Announces Tuition Grants for Masa Alumni http://ejewishphilanthropy.com/pardes-announces-tuition-grants-fo-masa-alumni• Chronicle of Philanthropy -- Some Non-Profit Leaders Ask: Is Philanthropy Killing Itself With Kindness? http://philanthropy.com/article/Some-Nonprofit-Leaders-Ask-Is/137481
• Bergen Record (NJ) -- Berrie Foundation gives $70K for Sandy relief (highlights Federation) http://www.northjersey.com/news/193014031_Berrie_Foundation_gives__70K_for_Sandy_relief.html• Elmira (NY) Star-Gazette -- Jewish community hosts scholars-in-residence weekend in West Elmira (highlights Federation) http://www.stargazette.com/article/20130224/NEWS01/302220043/Jewish-scholars-to-lecture• NJ Jewish News -- Theater is dark, but the show goes on (highlights Federation) http://www.njjewishnews.com/article/16445/theater-is-dark-but-the-show-goes-on• Oakland (MI) Press -- Bloomfield Hills’ Jewish Federation staff grateful for arrest of Ohio Neo-Nazi supporter (highlights Federation) http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2013/02/23/news/local_news/doc5127f7236cafc415799750.txt