Wed, 02/27/2013 - 11:43am
Israel & Mideast:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Reports persist today that Fatah is staging media moments around the continued clashes with Israeli troops in the West Bank to propel a new intifada; a rocket from Gaza strikes Israel for the first time since the November cease-fire, causing no damage; a Times of Israel report says Iranians are in Gaza guiding missile development; Hamas reportedly agrees to a Palestinian state along 1967 borders; Hezbollah denies reports their leader Hassan Nasrallah is dying of cancer; JTA looks at how Israel is preparing the Golan area for the fall of Assad; Iran nuclear talks continue with little hope, the Washington Post reports; and a former British diplomat to Israel offers a plan for Iran.
In domestic Israeli issues, the Times of Israel profiles a former U.S. political operative who helped usher in a new era in Israeli politics; the JPost reports on how lawsuits are stifling free speech in Israel, according to a new study; and the Women of the Wall manage to read the Megillah for Purim at the Kotel.
· N.Y. Times -- Rocket From Gaza Hits Israel, Breaking Cease-Fire http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/world/middleeast/rocket-from-gaza-hits-israel-breaking-cease-fire.html
· Times of Israel -- ‘Iranians in Gaza, guiding rocket development’ http://www.timesofisrael.com/iranians-in-gaza-guiding-rocket-development/
· Times of Israel -- ‘Hamas agrees to Palestinian state on ’67 lines’ http://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-agrees-to-palestinian-state-on-67-lines/
· Jerusalem Post -- Hezbollah denies Nasrallah’s health deteriorating http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=304602
· JTA -- As Syrian regime teeters, Israel prepares for security threats after Assad http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/26/3120476/news-about-syria-leads-israelis-to-anticipate-yet-another-insecure-border
· Washington Post -- Iran nuclear talks extended, but hopes remain dim http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/iran-talks-begin-with-little-hope-for-a-deal/2013/02/26/429aa832-801b-11e2-8074-b26a871b165a_story.html
· Ynet News (op-ed, Matthew Gould) -- 3 rules to understanding Iran http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4349780,00.html
Domestic Israeli News:
· Times of Israel -- A kingmaker’s kingmaker http://www.timesofisrael.com/the-kingmakers-kingmaker/
· Jerusalem Post -- ACRI: Overzealous libel litigation silences free speech http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.aspx?id=304529
· JTA -- Women of the Wall Megillah reading undisturbed by Israeli police http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/25/3120436/women-of-the-wall-megillah-reading-undisturbed-by-israeli-police
For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx
For more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page:
A New York Times columnist takes an in-depth look at the issue of academic freedom vs. BDS; and a JNS columnist bemoans the media focus on some supporters of a top Israeli soccer team.
· N.Y. Times (op-ed, Stanley Fish) -- Academic Freedom in Brooklyn: Part Two http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/25/academic-freedom-in-brooklyn-part-two/
· JNS (commentary, Ben Cohen) -- The dangerous obsession with Beitar Jerusalem http://www.jns.org/latest-articles/2013/2/24/the-dangerous-obsession-with-beitar-jerusalem.html
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Globally, the NY Jewish Week continues to focus on Jewish disability inclusion issues in a new column (see this latest JFNA briefing on a new contest to spur innovation in this arena, by the Ruderman Family Foundation: http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=261213); and the Pittsburgh Jewish Chronicle talks to rabbis who joined a recent inspiring JFNA Rabbinic Cabinet mission to Kiev and Israel.
Federations are highlighted in Austin, TX; Brevard & Indian River Counties, FL; Santa Barbara; and Southern N.J.
· N.Y. Jewish Week (commentary, Ari Ne’eman) -- Boston Purim Party Warns Wheelchair Users Against Attending http://www.thejewishweek.com/blogs/new-normal/boston-purim-party-warns-wheelchair-users-against-attending
· Pittsburgh Jewish Chronicle -- Area rabbis tour Kiev, Israel on JFNA mission (highlights Federation) http://thejewishchronicle.net/view/full_story/21764468/article-Area-rabbis-tour-Kiev--Israel-on-JFNA-mission-
· KXAN TV -- Former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords honored at Austin luncheon (highlights Federation) http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/former-us-rep-gabrielle-giffords-honored-at-austin-luncheon
· Florida Today -- Jewish Federation looks ahead to fun, and benefit, of fest (highlights Federation) http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130226/NEWS01/302260019/Jewish-Federation-looks-ahead-fun-benefit-fest
· Santa Barbara Noozhawk -- Jewish Federation Welcomes Five New Board Members, President (highlights Federation) http://www.noozhawk.com/article/022213_jewish_federation_new_board_members/
· Courier-Post (NJ) -- Jewish Federation of Southern New Jersey Launches Aleph Home Care (highlights Federation) http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20130219/GETPUBLISHED/302190304/Jewish-Federation-Southern-New-Jersey-launches-leph-Home-Care