Thu, 02/28/2013 - 10:36am
Israel & Mideast:
Iran and the so-called “Six Nations” negotiating nuclear issues agree to continue talking, while Iran reportedly greets an offer to ease sanctions in return for concessions. Meanwhile, PM Netanyahu urges the negotiators to hold out potential military threats as well. Elsewhere, the reportedly ailing Hezbollah leader gives a speech; his second-in-command is said to have been hurt in Syrian fighting; and an errant Syrian shell lands in the Israeli Golan.
Also, a widely respected Israeli Arab journalist says the Palestinians are fomenting violence to convince the U.S. to press Israel in potential peace talks; and the Forward looks at how two new books by former U.S. envoys to Israel and the Mideast offering different peace paths, ahead of President Obama’s March visit to the region.
• N.Y. Times -- Iran and Six Nations Agree to Continue Nuclear Talks http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/world/middleeast/iran-nuclear-talks.html• Times of Israel -- Iran calls eased sanctions offer a ‘turning point’ in talks http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-calls-eased-sanctions-offer-a-turning-point-in-talks/• Ynet News -- PM urges powers to issue Iran military threat http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4350411,00.html• Times of Israel -- Nasrallah to give address in bid to dispel cancer rumors http://www.timesofisrael.com/nasrallah-to-give-address-in-bid-to-dispel-cancer-rumors/• Algemeiner -- Report: Nasrallah’s Second in Command Wounded in Syria http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/27/report-hezbollahs-second-in-command-wounded-in-syria/• Times of Israel -- Syrian tank shell lands in Israeli Golan Heights town http://www.timesofisrael.com/syrian-tank-shell-lands-in-golan-heights-town/
• JNS (analysis, Khaled Abu Toameh) -- Palestinians plan violence to force the U.S. to extract concessions from Israel http://www.jns.org/latest-articles/2013/2/24/palestinians-plan-violence-to-force-the-us-to-extract-conces.html• Forward (analysis, Nathan Guttman) -- Two Books Offer Dueling Peace Roadmaps as Obama Prepares for Trip to Middle East http://forward.com/articles/171942/two-books-offer-dueling-peace-roadmaps-as-obama-pr/
For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx
For more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page:http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
Oxford students reject a bid to boycott Israel; two pro-Israel advocates look at how BDS forces are using billboards; Norwegian TV says its country is funding Palestinian Authority hate-speech against Israel; and EU officials urge boycotts of Israeli settlements.
• Times of Israel -- Oxford students overwhelmingly vote down Israel boycott http://www.timesofisrael.com/oxford-students-overwhelmingly-vote-down-israel-boycott/• JNS (commentary, Roz Rothstein and Roberta Seid) -- Billboards: Tools for teaching http://www.jns.org/latest-articles/2013/2/24/billboards-tools-for-teaching.html• Algemeiner -- Norwegian State-Owned TV Links Country’s Funding of PA to Promotion of Hatred Toward Israel http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/27/norwegian-state-owned-tv-links-countrys-funding-of-pa-to-promotion-of-hatred-towards-israel-video/• JTA -- EU diplomats recommend economic sanctions against settlements http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/27/3120616/eu-diplomats-recommend-economic-sanctions-against-settlements
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Globally, a donor gives $10B to the Make-a-Wish Foundation; a new Israeli business news magazine profiles a philanthropist’s work in Rwanda youth villages, inspired by the Israeli versions; a new think tank launches to promote the study of the modern Israel; nonprofits are urges to monitor the ongoing budget sequestration debate in DC; and two charities that grew around mustaches are reportedly splitting hairs, says the Wall St. Journal.
Federations are highlighted in Cleveland; Detroit; and New York.
• Jewish Business News -- Billionaire Stewart Rahr Gives $10 Million Donation To Make-A-Wish http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2013/02/03/billionaire-stewart-rahr-gives-10-million-dollar-donation-to-make-a-wish/• Jewish Business News -- A Place To Dry The Tears http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2013/01/22/a-place-to-dry-ones-tears/• The Israel Institute -- Press release on new Israel Institute in D.C. http://israelinstitute.org/news/2013-02/israel-institute-press-release• Chronicle of Philanthropy -- Nonprofits Urged to Watch Washington Budget Debate http://philanthropy.com/article/Nonprofits-Urged-to-Watch/137597• Wall St. Journal -- Hair-Raising Competition Splits the Moustache World http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324906004578288341653189174.html
• Jew in the D -- An Important Message From Scott Kaufman (highlights Federation) http://jewinthed.com/2013/02/22/an-important-message-from-scott-kaufman-there-wasnt-a-direct-imminent-threat-to-any-jewish-individuals-or-institutions/• Cleveland Jewish News -- Federation’s Freiman retires (highlights Federation) http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local/article_bc838fd8-8052-11e2-9930-001a4bcf887a.html• UJA-Federation of NY -- UJA-Federation Recognizes Synagogues’ Disabilities Inclusion Work (highlights Federation) http://www.ujafedny.org/news/uja-federation-recognizes-synagogues-disabilities-inclusion-work