Fri, 03/01/2013 - 10:15am
Israel & Mideast:
In regional issues, PM Netanyahu slams Turkey’s leader for denouncing Zionism; U.S. Senators issue a resolution vowing to defend Israel is Iran attacks, while members of Congress seek to toughen Iran sanctions; Israel also seeks to avoid sequester cuts to funding for Israeli missile defense.
In Palestinian issues, a report shows a security prisoner whose death sparked West Bank riots did not die from inflicted violence; and the IDF gears up for further clashes.
In domestic Israeli issues, an Israeli TV channel reports that President Obama will cancel his scheduled visit to Israel in March if PM Netanyahu has not formed a ruling coalition government by then, as the PM meets with President Peres to seek an extension on forming a coalition; Meanwhile, one top rabbi says local religious councils make their own rules, while a secular Knesset member speaks of a major secular-religious divide. Finally, Israel will investigate claims that Ethiopian immigrants were given birth control.
• Jerusalem Post -- PM slams Erdogan’s ‘dark, libelous’ denunciation of Zionism http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=304920• N.Y. Times -- Lawmakers Introduce Bipartisan Measure to Toughen Iranian Sanctions http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/world/middleeast/lawmakers-offer-bill-to-toughen-iranian-sanctions.html• Times of Israel -- Senators pen resolution vowing US aid if Israel launches war of self-defense http://www.timesofisrael.com/senators-pen-resolution-vowing-us-aid-if-israel-launches-war-of-self-defense/• Algemeiner -- Israel Making Efforts to Save Missile Defense Funding Ahead of Sequester http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/28/israel-making-efforts-to-save-missile-defense-funding-ahead-of-sequester/• Jerusalem Post -- Autopsy report: No evidence Jaradat was victim of violence http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.aspx?id=304907• Ynet News -- IDF gears for escalation in West Bank http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4350504,00.htmlDomestic Israeli Issues:
• Times of Israel -- ‘Obama will cancel visit if no new Israeli coalition by March 16’ http://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-will-cancel-visit-if-no-new-israeli-coalition-by-march-16/• JTA -- Netanyahu sets meeting to request extension in forming government http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/28/3120736/netanyahu-sets-meeting-to-request-extension-in-forming-government• Jerusalem Post -- ‘Religious councils act as a law unto themselves’ http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishFeatures/Article.aspx?id=304814• Ynet News -- MK Piron: Haredim don’t pray for soldiers’ well-being http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4350992,00.html• Ynet News -- Israel to probe birth control for Ethiopian immigrants http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4350982,00.htmlFor more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx
For more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page: http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
JCPA’s Martin Raffel maintains that Brooklyn College’s entrée to a BDS event amounted to a seal of approval for anti-Israel hatred; two leading Israeli columnists parse the clashing narratives of two Oscar-nominated films this year; and the Forward says the notion of an overpowering Israeli lobby in Washington has gone mainstream.
• JTA (op-ed, Martin Raffel) -- By hosting BDS conference, college gave imprimatur to hate speech http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/27/3120666/op-ed-by-hosting-bds-conference-college-gave-imprimatur-to-hate-speech• Ynet News (op-ed, Yoav Hendel) -- Don’t fund anti-Israel films http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4349599,00.html• Times of Israel (op-ed, David Horovitz) -- A tragic gulf between two Oscar rejects http://www.timesofisrael.com/a-tragic-gulf-between-two-oscar-rejects/• Forward (op-ed, Gal Beckerman) -- Walt and Mearsheimer Are Ready for their Closeup http://forward.com/articles/172014/walt-and-mearsheimer-are-ready-for-their-close-up/For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Global Jewish Issues:
Argentina gives the go-ahead to a joint probe with Iran of attacks on local Jewish sites widely believed to have been perpetrated by the Iranian-backed Hezbollah; JTA looks at a Jewish business school in Austria; an Ethiopian immigrant becomes the first from her community to win Miss Israel; and a rising political figure in Italy has a deeply anti-Israel bent, JTA reports.
• JTA -- Argentina’s Congress approves joint investigation with Iran http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/28/3120701/argentinas-congress-approves-joint-investigation-with-iran• JTA -- On its 10th anniversary, Lauder Business School looking West for new students http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/02/26/3120431/on-its-10th-anniversary-europes-jewish-university-looks-west-for-new-students• Forward -- First Ethiopian-Israeli Wins Miss Israel http://blogs.forward.com/sisterhood-blog/172032/first-ethiopian-israeli-wins-miss-israel/• Algemeiner -- Italy’s New Political Star Has Anti-Israel and Anti-Semitic History http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/28/italys-new-political-star-has-anti-israel-and-anti-semitic-history/Federations/Philanthropy:
Globally, the Baltimore Jewish Times reports on Linda Hurwitz’s nomination as the new National Campaign Chair for Federations; and Jewish communal activists look at how collaboration works.
Federations are highlighted in Chicago; L.A.; Metrowest, NJ; New York; and St. Louis.
• Baltimore Jewish Times -- Baltimore’s Linda Hurwitz to take on new role as JFNA national campaign chair (highlights Federation) http://www.jewishtimes.com/index.php/jewishtimes/news/jt/local_news/baltimores_linda_hurwitz_to_take_on_new_role_as_jfna_national_campaign_chai/34745• EJP (commentary) -- Can Jewish Organizations Really Work Collaboratively? Early Lessons From Nadiv http://ejewishphilanthropy.com/can-jewish-organizations-really-work-collaboratively-early-lessons-from-nadiv/Local:
• NJ Jewish News -- Federation ‘shuk’ shows off range of merged programs (highlights Federation) http://www.njjewishnews.com/article/16467/federation-shuk-shows-off-range-of-merged-programs• UJA-Federation of N.Y. -- Teaching Young People About Genetic Diversity (highlights Federation) http://www.ujafedny.org/news/teaching-young-people-about-genetic-diversity/• Crain’s Chicago Business -- Crowns give family trust to Jewish Federation (highlights Federation) http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130227/BLOGS03/130229773/crowns-give-family-trust-to-jewish-federation• LA Jewish Journal -- Changing the Jewish world, one Jewish social entrepreneur at a time (highlights Federation) http://www.jewishjournal.com/presentensela/item/changing_the_jewish_world_one_jewish_social_entrepreneur_at_a_time• St. Louis Jewish Light -- Federation campaign sees uptick (highlights Federation) http://www.stljewishlight.com/news/local/article_f12653f0-8125-11e2-abc5-001a4bcf887a.html