Mon, 03/04/2013 - 2:27pm
Israel & Mideast:
In regional Mideast issues, an official involved in the nuclear talks with Iran voices optimism; a report says the Iranian regime is behind a group advocating against measures to prevent a nuclear Iran; Haaretz looks at the challenges facing Hezbollah; Sec. of State Kerry castigates the Turks for their leader’s slur against Zionism; and a NY Times columnist voices concerns that chances for a two-state solution are dwindling.
In domestic Israeli issues, media look at political wrangling among the Knesset’s major parties that are preventing PM Netanyahu from forming a ruling coalition; Meanwhile, a new report says a labor dispute could hamper a planned visit of President Obama to Israel; and USA Today interviews Ambassador Michael Oren about the president’s upcoming trip. Finally, the latest figures show continued declines in aliyah.
• Ynet News -- Iran nuclear talks constructive, diplomat says http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4351003,00.html• Algemeiner -- Report: “Independent” Campaign Against Iranian Sanctions and Military Intervention Has Numerous Links to Regime http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/02/28/report-independent-campaign-against-iranian-sanctions-and-military-intervention-has-numerous-links-to-iranian-regime/• Haaretz (analysis, Zvi Bar’el) -- What’s troubling Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah? http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/what-s-troubling-hezbollah-leader-hassan-nasrallah.premium-1.506387• Times of Israel -- Kerry upbraids Turks over Erdogan’s Zionism slur http://www.timesofisrael.com/kerry-erdogan-comments-complicate-mideast-process/• Israel Embassy -- USA Today interviews Ambassador Oren on President Obama’s planned visit to Israel (video) http://www.israelemb.org/washington/NewsAndEvents/Pages/USA-Today-Amb--Oren-on-President-Obama's-Visit-to-Israel.aspx• N.Y. Times (op-ed, Roger Cohen) -- Zero Dark Zero http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/opinion/global/zero-dark-zero.html
Domestic Israeli Issues:
• Times of Israel -- Talks between Likud and Jewish Home break down http://www.timesofisrael.com/talks-between-likud-and-jewish-home-break-down/• Jerusalem Post -- Lapid challenges Likud effort to break gov’t pact http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=305009• Ynet News (analysis, Attila Somfalvi) -- Divide and rule http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4351120,00.html• Algemeiner -- Report: Labor Dispute at Israel’s Foreign Ministry Threatens Obama Visit http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/03/01/report-labor-dispute-at-israels-foreign-ministry-threatens-obama-visit/• Israel Hayom -- Downward immigration trend continues http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=7617For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspxFor more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page: http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
A new survey by NBC and the Wall St. Journal says more than one-third of U.S. citizens favor Israel over Palestinians in the Mideast conflict.
• Algemeiner -- New Poll: 31% of Americans Favor Israelis Over Palestinians http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/03/01/new-poll-31-of-americans-favor-israelis-over-palestinians/For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Globally, the Federation-backed Secure Community Network (SCN) joins a White House security meeting, JTA reports (see the JFNA briefing here: http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=261281); New York’s John Ruskay looks at an inspiring new Knesset member; and the Chronicle of Philanthropy reports President Obama may renew efforts to limit charitable tax deductions – efforts JFNA has advocated against (see a recent related briefing here: http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=261018).
Federations are highlighted in Cleveland; the East Bay, CA; Northern NJ; Phoenix; and San Diego.
• JTA -- Community’s security arm joins White House confab on emergency plans (highlights Federation-supported SCN) http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/03/01/3120856/communitys-security-arm-joins-white-house-confab-on-emergency-plans• UJA/Federation of NY (Dr. John Ruskay) -- A Friend and Teacher Speaks to Knesset http://www.ujafedny.org/news/a-friend-and-teacher-speaks-to-knesset/• Chronicle of Philanthropy -- Obama May Seek Cap On Charity Deductions - Again http://philanthropy.com/article/Obama-May-Seek-Cap-on-Charity/137615Local:
• Cleveland Jewish News -- Clevelanders look forward to AIPAC event (highlights Federation) http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local/article_cbdbe584-8200-11e2-8899-0019bb2963f4.html• SF J Weekly -- Orthodox teens take lobbying lessons to Sacramento (highlights Federation) http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/67899/orthodox-teens-take-lobbying-lessons-to-sacramento/• NJ Jewish Standard -- Baum forges forward (highlights Federation) http://www.jstandard.com/content/item/baum_forges_forward/26377• Jewish News of Greater Phoenix -- Kimberly Kur joins Association staff (highlights Federation, JFNA) http://www.jewishaz.com/localnews_features/article_9c7b9008-81bc-11e2-8087-001a4bcf6878.html• SDGLN -- Local gay leader appointed CEO of major non-profit (highlights Federation) http://sdgln.com/news/2013/02/28/local-gay-leader-appointed-ceo-major-non-profit