Tue, 03/12/2013 - 3:44pm
Israel & Mideast:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
In regional news, a Turkish paper, citing Israeli officials, warns about the disintegration of the Syrian state. A tech journal explores Stuxnet, the cyberwarfare program that damaged Iran's nuclear equipment.
The AP outlines the three key goals of the upcoming Obama trip to Israel; Shimon Peres, in Europe, argues against settlement-related sanctions. In the Forward, J.J. Goldberg explores what's holding up a coalition deal. The participation of several MKs in the latest Women of the Wall gathering draws attention.
· Hurriyet -- Israel official warns of ‘Somalization’ of Syria http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/israel-official-warns-of-somalization-of-syria.aspx?pageID=238&nID=42699&NewsCatID=352
· ThomasNet -- Inside the World’s Most Dangerous Industrial Cyber Weapon http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT/2013/03/12/inside-the-worlds-most-dangerous-industrial-cyber-weapon/
· AP -- Analysis: Obama Carries 3 Goals on Trip to Israel http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/03/11/us/politics/ap-us-obama-israel-analysis.html?ref=aponline&_r=1&
· Wall Street Journal -- EU, Israel Show Unity, Tensions http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2013/03/12/eu-israel-show-unity-tensions/
· Forward (opinion) -- Behind Coalition Standoff: Likud MKs Can't Face Loss http://blogs.forward.com/forward-thinking/172696/behind-coalition-standoff-likud-mks-cant-face-los/
· JPost -- MKs slam colleagues who joined Women of the Wall http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=306192
· Jerusalem Post -- Reform Union and others hope new Israeli government will stand for religious freedom. (JFNA mentioned) http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=306180
Advocacy & Anti-Semitism:
A California campus newspaper discusses the likelihood of another divisive divestment push by students. The head of the Swedish Committee against anti-Semitism writes about incidents in Sweden. A video urges funders to steer away from a Florida university after anti-Israel rallies. An article in La Stampa asks whether Jews are leaving France after recent anti-Semitic incidents.
· Daily Californian (editorial) -- Lessons from divestment http://www.dailycal.org/2013/03/12/lessons-from-divestment/
· JPost -- The ugly face of Swedish anti-Semitism http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-EdContributors/Article.aspx?id=306097
· WJNO -- FAU Video Stirs Controversy http://www.wjno.com/pages/news_local.html?feed=120981&article=11054338
· La Stampa -- In New York, Signs Of A Quiet Exodus Of Jews From France http://www.worldcrunch.com/culture-society/in-new-york-signs-of-a-quiet-exodus-of-jews-from-france/jews-new-york-paris-france-muslims/c3s10861/#.UT8EVtZJHFW
Globally, young Jews gather in Jerusalem for the leadership summit of Masa, a program run by the Israeli government and the Jewish Agency, a JFNA partner. In many nations, nonprofits account for a surprisingly large share of the economy. A Huffington Post series turns an eye to the most generous philanthropists on Wall Street.
Federations in Monmouth County NJ, New Orleans and Syracuse are highlighted.
· eJewishPhilanthropy -- 400 Emerging Jewish Leaders Gather in Jerusalem for Masa Israel Leadership Summit http://www.masaisrael.org/news/400-emerging-jewish-leaders-gather-jerusalem-masa-israel-leadership-summit
· Chronicle of Philanthropy -- Nonprofits a Vital Part of Many Nations’ Economies, Study Finds http://philanthropy.com/article/Nonprofits-a-Vital-Part-of/137861/
· Huffington Post (analysis) -- The 5 Most Generous on Wall Street http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachael-chong/the-5-most-generous-on-wa_b_2859625.html
· New Jersey Jewish News -- The Jewish Federation of Monmouth County offered SCN security briefing for faith-based organizations and public safety officials http://www.njjewishnews.com/article/16583/federation-hosts-security-briefing#.UT8ox9bqlvA
· Shalom Life -- Shalom, New Orleans: A Jewish Culture Guide http://www.shalomlife.com/culture/18928/shalom-new-orleans-a-jewish-culture-guide/
· Syracuse Post-Standard -- Central New York children get chance to learn how to make matzah at model bakery http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/central_new_york_children_get.html