Fri, 03/15/2013 - 12:21pm
Israel & Mideast:
In Mideast issues, the media focus continues to be trained on President Obama’s upcoming visit to Israel (see JFNA’s statement on the trip here: http://www.jewishfederations.org/page.aspx?id=261375); Among the stories, the Times of Israel, reporting on an interview with the president by Israel’s Channel 2, says Obama indicated Iran will be attacked within one year if no diplomatic effort succeeds.
In domestic Israeli issues, the big news is that while PM Netanyahu seems to have hammered out a coalition deal, a last-minute dispute is stalling a final agreement. Also, the Times of Israel looks at the challenges the PM faces in the new government.
Regional Mideast Issues:
• Jerusalem Post -- Abbas hopes peace talks with Israel restart this year http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=306446• Ynet News -- 3-year-old critically injured by stones in West Bank http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4356683,00.html• N.Y. Times -- Obama’s Israel Itinerary Includes Some Standard Stops, but Not Others http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/world/middleeast/obamas-israel-itinerary-includes-some-standard-stops-but-not-others.html• Forward (Reuters) -- Barack Obama Plans To Launch Charm Offensive Aimed at Israeli Public http://forward.com/articles/172891/barack-obama-plans-to-launch-charm-offensive-aimed/• Times of Israel -- Obama intimates US to strike Iran in a year if diplomacy fails http://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-intimates-us-to-strike-iran-if-diplomacy-fails-in-2013/• Jerusalem Post -- ‘Iran believes chance of attack on it is low’ http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=306422
Domestic Israeli Issues:
• Times of Israel -- Dispute over symbolic title of ‘deputy PM’ stalls coalition deal http://www.timesofisrael.com/last-minute-glitch-delays-coalition-agreement/• Ynet News -- Netanyahu: Likud-Beiteinu kept important portfolios http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4356595,00.html• Times of Israel (analysis, Raphael Ahren) -- After smoke clears, tough challenges for old-new PM http://www.timesofisrael.com/after-smoke-clears-tough-challenges-for-old-new-pm/
For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx
For more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page: http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
Israel Advocacy: Algemeiner runs two pieces on the situation at Harvard, where anti-Israel students posted eviction notices on doors of other students’ dorms as a protest against alleged mistreatment of Palestinians.
• Algemeiner -- Despite Jewish Outrage, Harvard Silent on Israel Apartheid Week “Eviction Notices” http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/03/14/despite-jewish-outrage-harvard-silent-on-israel-apartheid-week-eviction-notices/• Algemeiner -- Famous “Tiger Cub” Pillories Palestine Solidarity Committee After Receiving Mock Eviction Notice at Harvard University http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/03/14/famous-tiger-cub-pillories-palestine-solidarity-committee-after-receiving-mock-eviction-notice-at-harvard-university/
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Global Jewish Issues:
Jewish and mainstream media report widely positive Jewish communal reactions to the election of Pope Francis 1.
• JTA -- New pope, Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina, has Jewish connections http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/03/13/3121966/new-pope-francis-i-is-argentinian-cardinal-jorge-maria-bergoglio• Washington Post -- Jews worldwide see an ally in Pope Francis http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/jews-worldwide-see-an-ally-in-pope-francis/2013/03/13/89f1594a-8c48-11e2-adca-74ab31da3399_story.html• Algemeiner -- Israel’s Chief Rabbinate on New Pope: We are Confident He Will “Strengthen and Develop” Ties Between Church and Jews http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/03/14/israels-chief-rabbinate-on-new-pope-we-are-confident-he-will-strengthen-and-develop-ties-between-church-and-jews/
Globally, the LA Jewish Journal looks at a pro-Israel group’s name change; a Jewish Agency professional offers insights into making data more impactful; and Tablet looks at ideas to make children’s ‘mitzvah projects’ more meaningful.
Federations are highlighted in Broward County, FL; and St. Louis.
• LA Jewish Journal -- Israel Leadership Council Changes Name (highlights GA, Federation) http://www.jewishjournal.com/los_angeles/article/israeli_leadership_council_changes_name• EJP (analysis, Dyonna Ginsburg) -- Data That Illuminates: A Case Study (highlights JAFI) http://ejewishphilanthropy.com/data-that-illuminates-a-case-study/• Washington Jewish Week -- Broadening the tent (highlights IAN, JCPA) http://washingtonjewishweek.com/Main.asp?SectionID=133&SubSectionID=273&ArticleID=18997• Tablet -- Doing Mitzvah Projects Right http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/126833/doing-mitzvah-projects-right
• South Florida Sun-Sentinel -- Working to improve Christian-Jewish relations (highlights Federation) http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-03-13/florida-jewish-journal/fl-jjbs-christians-0314-20130313_1_international-christian-embassy-jerusalem-christian-community-christian-jewish-relations• St. Louis Jewish Light -- Rubin Israel Experience expands age range for no-cost Israel trip (highlights Federation) http://www.stljewishlight.com/news/local/article_ecfe9452-8c21-11e2-9b17-001a4bcf887a.html