Wed, 03/20/2013 - 9:34am
Israel & Mideast:
Globally, the focus intensifies on President Obama’s Mideast trip later this week, with new appeals to the president, new stories surveying Israeli opinion, and a range of analyses and commentary. In Mideast news, the U.S. discounts reports that Syrian rebels control Syrian WMDs, while Jordan’s King Abdullah discounts what appeared to be unusually candid remarks to a leading journalist. Finally, in domestic Israeli issues, the Knesset extends the window for the coalition to back a new state budget, while a Yediot Aharonot columnist maintains PM Netanyahu has already achieved a lot.
Obama Trip – News:
• Times of Israel -- Gilad Shalit in letter to Obama: Free Pollard http://www.timesofisrael.com/gilad-shalit-in-letter-to-obama-free-pollard/• Times of Israel -- Obama’s Israel visit sparks letter-writing blitz in Congress http://www.timesofisrael.com/obamas-israel-visit-sparks-letter-writing-blitz-in-congress/• Jerusalem Post -- Kerry arrives in Israel, paving the way for Obama visit http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Kerry-arrives-in-Israel-paves-way-for-Obama-visit-306969• Times of Israel -- In the West Bank as Obama visits, a subtle escalation of violence http://www.timesofisrael.com/in-the-west-bank-as-obama-visits-a-subtle-escalation-of-violence/• N.Y. Times -- Many Israelis Wary of Obama, but Are Ready to Listen http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/20/world/middleeast/as-obama-prepares-to-visit-many-israelis-are-wary.html• Ynet News -- ‘Israelis warming up to Obama, slightly’ http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4358446,00.html• Jerusalem Post -- US media set the bar low for Obama visit http://www.jpost.com/International/US-media-set-the-bar-low-for-Obama-visit-306888• JTA -- Obamas to receive unique Israel gifts http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/03/19/3122456/obama-to-receive-unique-israel-gifts
Obama Trip – Commentary:
• Ynet News (op-ed, Tamar Hermann) -- Israelis indifferent to Obama visit http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4357597,00.html• Bloomberg News (commentary, Jeffrey Goldberg) -- Israel’s Fate Is Now In Obama’s hands http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-18/israel-s-fate-is-now-in-barack-obama-s-hands.html• LA Jewish Journal (analysis, Shmuel Rosner) The Israel Factor: What’s the Number One Objective of Obama’s Visit? http://www.jewishjournal.com/rosnersdomain/item/the_israel_factor_whats_the_number_one_objective_of_obamas_visit• Times of Israel (analysis, David Horovitz) -- Obama, Netanyahu and an alarming absence of trust http://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-netanyahu-and-an-alarming-absence-of-trust/
• Jerusalem Post -- US: ‘No reason to believe’ Syrian rebels using WMD http://www.jpost.com/International/US-No-reason-to-believe-Syrian-rebels-using-WMD-306988• Times of Israel -- King Abdullah chides Atlantic interviewer, citing ‘fallacies’ in article http://www.timesofisrael.com/king-abdullah-chides-atlantic-interviewer/
Domestic Israeli News:
• Jerusalem Post -- Knesset Oks 90-day extension for passing budget http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Knesset-okays-90-day-extension-for-passing-budget-306990• Ynet News (op-ed, Merav Betito) -- Voice of reason returns http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4358097,00.html
For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx
For more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page:http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
An Israeli in Oakland comes under attack for writing a famous Jewish slogan; the NYT Magazine comes under fire for a story about a potential new intifada flashpoint; and the Israeli Embassy in DC posts a lighthearted video on the Obama trip to Israel that is making a social media impact.
• JTA -- Fracas in Oakland after Israeli writes ‘Am Yisrael Chai’ http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/03/19/3122471/fracas-in-oakland-after-israeli-writes-am-yisrael-chai• Algemeiner -- NYT Magazine Draws Heat for Cover Story on Palestinian Village Known for Protests http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/03/19/nyt-magazine-draws-heat-for-cover-story-on-palestinian-village-known-for-protests/• Tablet -- The Israeli Embassy’s Insane Obama Trip Video http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/127432/the-israeli-embassys-insane-obama-trip-video
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Global Jewish Issues:
An Islamic militant tied to the killing of Daniel Pearl is caught; the U.S. blasts a UN human rights group for over-the-top criticism of Israel; and the new Pope makes several positive comments about Jews.
• Wall St. Journal -- Militant Linked to WSJ Reporter Pearl's Death Arrested in Pakistan http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323639604578370250648813518.html• JTA -- U.S. rips U.N. Human Rights Council for ‘disproportionate’ Israel focus http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/03/19/3122436/us-slams-unhrc-for-disproportionate-israel-focus• JTA -- Pope at installation gives shout-out to Jews http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/03/19/3122461/pope-gives-shout-out-to-jews-at-installation
Globally, an EJP piece urges nonprofits to think of Jews as consumers of Judaism; and the Chronicle of Philanthropy reports that nonprofit consulting is growing globally. Federations are highlighted in South Palm Beach and Toronto.
• EJP (commentary, David Behrman) -- Jewish Learners As Consumers; The Conversation Continues http://ejewishphilanthropy.com/jewish-learners-as-consumers-the-conversation-continues/• Chronicle of Philanthropy -- Nonprofit Consulting Goes Global http://philanthropy.com/blogs/good-advice/nonprofit-consulting-goes-global/839
• South Florida Sun Sentinel -- Northwest Baltimore Neighbors Are Connecting Through new CHAI Program (highlights Federation) http://www.sun-sentinel.com/florida-jewish-journal/news/palm-beach-county-news/fl-jjps-phone-0320-20130319,0,3273571.story• Canadian Jewish News -- Israelis and Canadians volunteer for Habitat for Humanity (highlights Federation) http://www.cjnews.com/node/104047