Thu, 03/21/2013 - 4:20pm
Israel & Mideast:
In Mideast news, President Obama scored a hit today with college-age Israeli audience at the Jerusalem convention center, Binyanei Ha’umah (the 2013 JFNA GA site this November), striking powerful chords about Zionism, the US-Israel relationship and peace. Meanwhile, the NY Times runs several scoops, including a piece suggesting PA President Abbas wants to restart peace talks; and that some military experts are casting doubts about Israel’s Iron Dome. Also, the Sderot family who home was struck by a Gaza rocket overnight speaks out; and an Iranian cleric threatens that Iran will destroy Tel Aviv if its nuclear facilities are attacked.
In commentary, the New Republic looks at the chances for a two-state solution; Times of Israel editor David Horovitz calls Obama a left-wing Zionist; the LA Jewish Journal’s Rob Eshman unpacks the top moments of the president’s speech to Israeli youth; and New York magazine says the president delivered an empathetic and long-awaited speech.
• Times of Israel -- Obama tells students: Responsibility does not end when you reach the promised land http://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-on-second-day-in-israel-speaks-to-students-in-jerusalem/• The Atlantic Wire -- Obama Heckled at Jerusalem Speech, but College Kids Still Love Him http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/03/obama-heckled-jerusalem-speech/63387/• JTA -- In Ramallah, Obama implies settlement freeze not needed http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013/03/21/3122696/in-ramallah-obama-implies-settlement-freeze-not-needed• Wall St. Journal -- Text of Obama’s Speech in Israel http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/03/21/text-of-obamas-speech-in-israel/• N.Y. Times -- Document Suggests Abbas’s Desire to Resume Israeli Talks http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/world/middleeast/abbas-shows-desire-to-resume-israel-talks.html• N.Y. Times -- Weapons Experts Raise Doubts About Israel’s Antimissile System http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/world/middleeast/gaza-militants-fire-rockets-as-obama-visits.html• Algemeiner -- Sderot Victim of Gaza Rocket Attack: “My Eight Year Old Daughter and My Wife Are Terrified” http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/03/21/victim-of-sderot-rocket-fire-my-eight-year-old-daughter-and-my-wife-are-terrified/• Jerusalem Post -- Khamenei: Iran will destroy Tel Aviv if attacked http://www.jpost.com/Iranian-Threat/News/Khamenei-Iran-will-destroy-Tel-Aviv-if-attacked-307308
• The New Republic (analysis, Ben Birnbaum) -- The End of the Two-State Solution http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112617/israel-palestine-and-end-two-state-solution• Times of Israel (op-ed, David Horovitz) -- The stirring speech of a left-wing Zionist http://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-stirs-young-israelis-with-the-passionate-speech-of-a-left-wing-zionist/• LA Jewish Journal (analysis, Rob Eshman) -- Top 10 moments of Obama’s Jerusalem speech http://www.jewishjournal.com/bloggish/item/top_ten_moments_of_obamas_jerusalem_speech• New York magazine (commentary, Jonathan Chait) -- Obama’s Empathetic Israel Speech http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/03/obamas-empathetic-israel-speech.html
For more Israel news, see the weekly JFNA Israel news page: http://www.jewishfederations.org/Weekly-News-Items-in-Israel.aspx
For more security news, see JFNA’s Secure Community Network (SCN) news page: http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1091809/bcb5afdb71/521804587/8fddab0b42/
Israel Advocacy: An Algemeiner columnist exposes the hypocrisy of a world human rights body; rock singer Roger Waters of Pink Floyd fame once again blasts Israel and urges people to support BDS; and a Times of Israel blogger satirizes campus BDS backers.
• Algemeiner (commentary, Rolene Marks) -- The Russell Tribunal - Kangaroos In Smart Clothing http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/03/20/the-russell-tribunal-kangaroos-in-smart-clothing/• Jerusalem Post -- Roger Waters: Boycott against Israel is ‘way to go’ http://www.jpost.com/Arts-and-Culture/Music/Roger-Waters-Boycott-against-Israel-is-way-to-go-307204• Times of Israel (commentary, Emily Schrader) -- Student Activists for Palestine http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/student-activists-for-palestine-the-parody/
For more Israel advocacy news, see the Israel Action Network’s newly redesigned and enhanced website: http://israelactionnetwork.org/
Globally, the Washington Jewish Week looks at the impact of J Street; the JPost reports Russian Jews in the U.S. feel disconnected from the broader Jewish community; EJP runs an essay on Jewish innovation; and the Chronicle of Philanthropy reports Oregon officials are considering a law cracking down on high fundraising overhead.
Federations are highlighted in Metrowest, NJ; Ocean County, NJ; and Orange County, NY.
• Washington Jewish Week -- J Street cuts through campus (mentions JFNA’s Rabbinic Cabinet) http://washingtonjewishweek.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=4&ArticleID=19033• Jerusalem Post -- US Russian Jews don’t feel connected to community http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/US-Russian-Jews-dont-feel-connected-to-community-307132• Ejp (essay, Justin Korda and Seth Cohen) -- Innovation: The Fuel That Drives Our World Forward http://ejewishphilanthropy.com/innovation-the-fuel-that-drives-our-world-forward/• Chronicle of Philanthropy -- Oregon Again Seeks to Crack Down on High Fundraising Costs http://philanthropy.com/article/Oregon-Again-Seeks-to-Crack/138067
• N.J. Jewish News (commentary, Jeffrey Korbman) -- A community Passover: A people’s responsibility (highlights JFNA, Federation) http://www.njjewishnews.com/article/16818/a-community-passover-a-peoples-responsibility#.UUsavhfqlvA• The Sand Paper -- Manahawkin Girl Wins Ocean County Jewish Federation Contest (highlights Federation) http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/p/manahawkin-girl-wins-ocean-county-jewish-federation-contest/976479• Times Herald-Record -- Jewish Federation gives scholarships to local teens (highlights Federation) http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130321/COMM/303210303/-1/SITEMAP